Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meredith Attends the TCM Classic Film Festival 2011


"HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD" 
written by Meredith Myers

START the picture with the actual street sign: HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD. In the gutter lie dead leaves, a Hooters receipt, burnt matches and a coupon for five dollars off Starline Tours. It is early morning.

CAMERA leaves the sign and MOVES WEST, the grey asphalt of the street filling the screen.

Over the scene we now hear…

WOMAN’S VOICE
Yes, this is Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. It’s about ten o’clock in the morning but that doesn’t stop the tourists from getting their picture taken in front of the Grauman’s Chinese Theatre with a lackluster version of Michael Jackson. Oh, who am I kidding, I may need to use my Lady Gaga Halloween costume to make some extra cash, so I guess I better not make fun. Times are tough for librarians, you know.

SLOW DISSOLVE TO:

EXT.  WEST HOLLYWOOD

It is a crisp sunny day. The voice continues speaking as CAMERA PANS toward a SMALL APARTMENT BUILDING, an ugly structure where the landlord obviously doesn’t do repairs. CAMERA MOVES TOWARD AN OPEN WINDOW, where we look in on MEREDITH MYERS’ APARTMENT. A striking redhead, Meredith Myers, is sitting at her desk, wearing nothing but a baseball t-shirt with Vonnegut #5 on the back. She is probably wearing underwear but this isn’t that kind of film. In front of her is a laptop computer, MacBook Pro. Beside her, on the floor, is a stack of resumes and library job applications, where in ink the words ‘No response’ is written on most of them. Myers is typing.

INT.  MEREDITH’S APT

It is a one-room affair, filled with entirely too many fabulous clothes for a person who doesn’t have a job to go to. The walls are decorated with vintage hats that probably look ridiculous when worn with pajamas. A poster-sized image of Myrna Loy and William Powell from “The Thin Man” hangs on one wall, while a Batgirl Librarian poster that reads ‘Librarians Are Heroes Every Day!’ on another.

MEREDITH
I can’t believe I graduated with my Masters degree a year ago and I still don’t have a Librarian job. Boy, this economy is a real bummer. If I have to work one more server job, I am going to…

FLASH OF OPRAH MAGAZINE ON THE BED

MEREDITH (CONT.)
No. I’m not going to drown my problems away in another ‘Living Your Best Life’ article, O.

FLASH OF TCM ON THE TV

The logo TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL April 28 – May 1, 2011 is displayed brightly in blue on the screen. As the logo fades, a distinguished gentleman in a suit, ROBERT OSBORNE, begins to talk but the TV is on mute.

MEREDITH (CONT.)
Wait a minute. I like classic movies! Well, you wouldn’t know it based on the D I got in that film history class back in college but hopefully they won’t require tests to attend. What I wouldn’t give to talk with Robert Osborne about “Desk Set” with Katherine Hepburn. I bet just a few words from Robert would be just the motivation I need not to give up on being a librarian! Plus if that Ben Mackiewicz is around, we could talk baseball films!

FLASH OF MEREDITH AND BEN AT A BASEBALL GAME

MEREDITH (CONT.)
OK, slow it down slugger, you don’t want to come across as a stalker to these people. Besides, this is no longer a voice-over, so now you are talking to yourself and there is no one in the room. Maybe this behavior is why people haven’t hired you!

FLASH OF LIBRARIAN RIPPING UP RESUME

MEREDITH (V.O.)
Fine, I am back in my head. But no, I don’t believe that is the reason. The right job opportunity will come. Someone WILL hire me. I mean, look at the six people that read my blog! That has to mean something.

DISSOLVE TO:


For photos taken at the TCM Classic Film Festival, “Like” StandUpLibrarian on FB: http://www.facebook.com/StandUpLibrarian

For more information about the TCM Classic Film Festival, visit: http://www.tcm.com/festival/

***I will be doing a separate Blog Post about the "To Kill a Mockingbird" screening, featuring appearances by Gregory Peck's family and Mary Badham (Scout).