Sunday, November 18, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
(I made that turkey ornament in 3rd grade.)

Before we all begin a busy week of travel and turkey consumption (while the stores just bypass it all together to promote Black Friday), I wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU to all of the people who have made the past year a truly remarkable one in both personal and professional ways.  I am so grateful to my family, friends and fans who have offered me their love and support as I transitioned out of Los Angeles and back to Florida.  It has made all of the difference in finding my voice, my creativity, and learning the very important lesson that sometimes taking a step back is just so you can get more appropriate shoes for the next leg of your journey that are on sale right now at Macy’s!  Sorry, I was just distracted by a sales flyer in my newspaper.  What I meant to say was…I have a lot of shoes, wear many hats, and now have a literary purse business so if you want to buy something, shop here!  No that wasn’t my point – stupid Facebook pop up ad!  OK, seriously, my point is this…I am THANKFUL.  I have finally learned that I don’t really need the shoes at all.  I just need my feet.  They help me stand, take difficult steps and dance on a book cart, but more important than all of that, are the people who will catch me when I fall off that book cart: my friends and family.  Sure they might laugh at first but I know that when I start crying and screaming obscenities, someone is going to stop tweeting and call 911.  And that is something to be thankful for… 

Oh and because I am a librarian, I wanted to share with you the ‘Thanksgiving poem’ Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Child.  Did you know it was a poem before it became a song?  Of course you did!  Well, I’m glad I didn’t try to shock you with a video about it then.  Anyway, HAPPY THANKSGIVING everybody!

Over the River and Through the Wood
- A Thanksgiving Poem -
By Lydia Maria Child

Over the river and through the wood 

To Grandmother's house we go. 

The horse knows the way 

To carry the sleigh 

Through white and drifted snow.

Over the river and through the wood 

Oh, how the wind does blow! 

It stings the toes 

And bites the nose, 

As over the ground we go.

Over the river and through the wood 

To have a first-rate play. 

Hear the bells ring, 

Ting-a-ling-ling! 

Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!

Over the river and through the wood, 

Trot fast, my dapple gray! 

Spring over the ground 

Like a hunting hound, 

For this is Thanksgiving Day.

Over the river and through the wood, 

And straight through the barnyard gate. 

We seem to go 

Extremely slow~ 

It is so hard to wait!

Over the river and through the wood~ 

Now Grandmother's cap I spy! 

Hurrah for fun!
Is the pudding done? 

Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

Walking through white and drifted sand...