Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Meredith Myers Performs Her First Stand-Up Act About Libraries

After having spent the past year and a half focused on finishing my Master's degree and trying to get hands-on experience in libraries, I returned to the comedy stage last night to perform at "Improvised Stand-Up Night" held at Second City in Hollywood. The five-minute set was probably one of the most nerve-racking experiences I've had in awhile since the rules stated that I could not prepare material ahead of time and instead had to rely on audience suggestions. While that may have been true, I did have the power to lead the audience in a direction of my choosing, so I thought it was the perfect time to test the waters on some library-based comedy material, which I had been wanting to try for years but could never take my academic hat off long enough to find the funny in what has become my passion and advocacy project. While this set is short and off the top of my head, I hope this is the beginning of an awesome stand-up set devoted to my passion for libraries that will eventually not only help show their necessity in the world, but offer an example to why funny people like me should also be working in them. Sometimes you just have to laugh, right? And yes, the pervert with the mirror joke was based on a true incident that happened while I was interning at the Los Feliz Public Library. Enjoy, and of course, feel free to laugh too…