Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy 2nd Anniversary StandUpLibrarian.com!



Today I celebrate 2 years of StandUpLibrarian.com.  A lot has happened since my first post on June 1st, 2010 (read that here: http://stand-uplibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/06/welcome-to-standuplibrariancom.html), where my only intention after graduating with my Masters degree was to be an advocate for libraries while looking for a job to hopefully work in one.  My mission was simply to show how fun & educational they are – for all ages, for all types of people.  I thought a blog would keep me busy while filling out those job applications and would show those I was interviewing with that I was not sitting by the phone but an active member of the library field with numerous talents and skills to offer my employers. 

On a personal note, I was trying to distract myself from a broken heart and hoping to overcome writer’s block.  In committing to this blog, I was ultimately putting myself first again and trying to find my voice as a writer.  I was forcing myself to write on a weekly basis while showing my strength and vulnerability during life’s crazy experiences.  I hoped to entertain people with my sense of humor but my focus was less on being funny and more on just being myself…a person that does the best she can but never gives up.

It’s odd to me that now 2 years later with endless hours of filming & editing videos, interviewing & interacting with a variety of experts in the field, writing passionate blog posts and jokes that promoted the library (not made fun of it), that I am still unemployed!  How could a person work so hard and not get the one thing she did all of it for?     

Because if there is one person who understands & identifies with the patrons at a library, it is me!  How to file for unemployment?  Done. Start a new business? Done. Living with a crazy roommate and need a quiet place to go?  Done.  I could go on and on with scenarios here but I have to wonder if any of it was worth it.  Or if all that I created was just a huge mistake and actually hurt my chances at getting a job due to the conservative folks out there that just didn’t understand me at all.  My parents are some of those people constantly worried that I am offending someone in HR.

Then I look at what I have experienced over the last 2 years.  What I have learned.  Where I have been.  Who I have met.  I look at the person I was when I began this journey and then at the one in the mirror today.  In actuality she probably accomplished far more than she set out to.  Does it always make sense?  No. Does she ever make mistakes? Yes. Does she have more fun at the library than most people?  Probably.  And isn’t that what it’s all about?

If anybody goes to the library because of something I said or did, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  It doesn’t matter to me if you think I am hilarious or talented or smart or qualified.  What matters to me is that you USE THE LIBRARY!  And if you have fun while you are there, well then I’m really doing something special.  Oh and the words “Stand-Up” in Stand-Up Librarian may have hinted at stand-up comedy, but it actually refers to standing up for libraries and for yourself.  In my opinion, you cannot have one without the other. If you utilize the vast knowledge available to you at the library, you will always have the means to stand up to any curve balls life throws at you.  Think of me as the catcher.  I’m behind you the whole way…if only to remind you that your butt looks great in those pants!  OK, maybe I should turn off the baseball game while I am writing this.  Anyway, thanks for joining me in what has been the greatest adventure of my life.  Support your libraries but have fun doing it!

*In honor of my 2-year anniversary, I have created a special video that incorporates my love for libraries & Madonna.  Like a lot of girls growing up in the 80’s, I have been influenced by her artistry in more ways than even I realized.  While some are quick to judge her often-controversial choices, I have always respected her work ethic and passion.  Madonna has dedicated her life to the art of performance and how it can influence people, making them think and question things.  I don’t always agree with all of her decisions but I will always respect her for being fearless and an incredible entertainer.

I would suggest watching Madonna’s very erotic “Girl Gone Wild” video before watching my "Librarian Gone Wild" so you can understand the parody where I incorporate her books (I feature her Sex book from 1992 and her line of children's books.)  I have posted both videos below for your convenience.  Enjoy!