Monday, April 29, 2013

World Book Night at McCurdy's Comedy Club

For a direct link to the video, click here.

Thanks again to Les McCurdy and McCurdy's Comedy Club for having me out to perform last week on behalf of World Book Night to open for the incredibly energetic and hilarious Dale Jones!  As the mission of World Book Night is to promote reading to light and non-readers, I thought it was the perfect time for me to leave the library and return to the comedy club to do my literary stand-up comedy and surprise the audience with free copies of my favorite book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  

I can honestly say that I had more fun giving out the books to the audience than I did performing, which is yet another example that I will always be more librarian than comedian, however thanks to creating the phrase Stand-Up Librarian, I can always do both!  After the show, I got a chance to hand out my bookmarks, take pictures, and talk one-on-one with members of the audience and it brought absolute joy to my heart to hear how much they loved seeing a real librarian have fun on stage with books and how grateful they were to receive their free copies...and not have to return them!

As is my mission with Stand-Up Librarian, if something I said gets someone to use the library or pick up a book, I have done my job.  If they laugh or sing "Joyce Around" back to me, well that just means we had some fun too!  

Thanks again to everyone who came out to the show...

Giving comedian Dale Jones a copy
of The Alchemist before the show!
Thanks Les McCurdy!
The first librarian to ever perform
at McCurdy's Comedy Club!
I LOVED giving The Alchemist
by Paulo Coelho to the audience.