Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Meredith's First Day!


Have you ever wanted to do something so bad that you got tired of just sitting by the phone waiting for the opportunity to present itself?  Yeah, I didn’t get a call back about “The Amazing Race” either.  Well, anyway, that is how I am feeling about being unemployed in the library field right now.  In my mind, I have done everything I am supposed to in order to get hired, not to mention a whole lot more if you count the hours I spend doing this blog.  You think “Keeping up with the Kar-whatever their names are” is crazy, you should see my life!  I sometimes do my hair curly and straight, and I don’t own those expensive hairpieces or weaves, so you know that takes time.

Anyway, the point is, why should I have to wait for an actual “job offer” to go be a librarian and share information?  After all, the library is free to everyone, so if college kids can drag his or her laptops into the library to study and make out, and parents can drop off their toddlers for free babysitting at story time, why can’t I set up my own reference desk and do my job as a library professional just out of the goodness in my heart?  Sure, I’ll leave the crazies and perverts for the paid professionals to handle, but I think this is very ambitious and entrepreneurial of me, don’t you?  Fine, you’ve got a point.  There’s always going to be people who see it as intrusive or annoying to the staff librarians, but tomatoes, potatoes, people, you can’t please everybody all the time since we all see things differently.  Besides, if I can’t even quote Gershwin correctly, you think I have time to explain this?  I say, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off,” (located in the stacks around the 780’s), and just get to the video...

In Part 3 of "Meredith Hires Herself," Meredith sends Meredith to the local public library and has her set up her own reference desk in an effort to help patrons.

Although inspired in part by true incidents, the following video is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event, even though the actresses look a lot like Meredith Myers and say they are numerous times. In reality, Meredith Myers is the ultimate professional and takes her job as a librarian very seriously and would never just go set up a fake reference desk and film library patrons without them knowing, so any future employers should not let this video effect their decision to hire her. The only thing she is guilty of is having a sense of humor during tough economic times. And yes, parts of this disclaimer was pulled from the "Law & Order" TV show.