Monday, November 14, 2011

Touring the Occupy LA Library


...We appreciate your patience, please be assured that your call will receive the time and attention it deserves when we return to the line…

“Hello? May I help you?”

“Yes, hello, my name is Meredith Myers and I received a letter in the mail saying that I’m released from my temporary position of Library Page at the West Hollywood Public Library, now there is no reason given for why I am let go, are you able to share that information with me?”

“No.”

“To release somebody from a job without giving them any warnings or write ups, or anything?  I am blown away to be honest, I don’t know what the problem is, and it would really help me move forward with my life if I knew what the problem was.”

“Well, they usually coach the employee and if the coaching didn’t make an impression than we don’t continue because you are hourly and we just move on the next person.”

“But basically I wasn’t coached.  I had nothing but positive feedback from day one until the last day I worked, I really don’t know what went wrong.  So that’s what I am asking you.  What is your advice?”

“This is our procedure.  This is our policy.  According to civil service rules, we do not need to give a reason.  You are an ‘at-will’ employee and we release employees when their services are no longer needed.”

“Don’t you think this is a little cold?  We are in a tough economy right now, and this is the field that I have spent 6 years trying to work in, a field that I love, and if I was doing something wrong I just wish somebody would tell me so I could fix the problem so it would never happen again.  Please ma'am, it would really help me if you could tell me what I did...”

“Hmmm, no, I can’t.”

 Stand-up Librarian Meredith Myers joins her friend Lila for a tour of the Occupy LA Library and learns that Brian the Librarian wears glasses.

Occupy LA Declaration of Occupation:

“As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.”

“To the people of the world,
We, the Los Angeles General Assembly occupying City Hall Park in Downtown Los Angeles urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.
To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.
Join us and make your voices heard!”