Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of my friends and supporters of Stand-Up Librarian!  I am back in Florida with my family, where I am mostly enjoying the beach because it is so hot here.  Instead of a snowman, I had to build a sandman.  I named him Neil, in honor of Neil Gaiman who wrote The Sandman comic book series, but you knew this right?

The sunsets are absolutely incredible here.  This one inspired me to take off my flip-flops and Santa hat to go for a swim.  Until I got to the water and realized how cold it was.  Plus my parents were like "Put your clothes on, Meredith, there are kids out here!"


Then I got hungry and decided to make gingerbread because I am absolutely obsessed with it.  I don't know if this is because I am a 'ginger' or a just a fan of bread, so I did some research like any good librarian would.  Did you know we have Germany to thank for Gingerbread houses?


Instead of taking the next two days to make a Gingerbread Library, I settled on a Gingerbread Cheesecake, which I then topped with Gingerbread men cakes and Gingerbread men cookies.  Each cookie represents a guy I once dated.  Too bad I can't remember their names.


Anyway, if there is one thing I love more than libraries, it is the holidays! Whether walking on the beach, baking in the kitchen, or standing in a wooden wreath all by yourself, there are endless opportunities to give joy.  Writing on this blog always brings me joy, but it is a true Christmas miracle that there are people like you out there reading it!
     

I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable holiday season with your family and friends.  It has been an interesting year but I am always aware that the true message of the holidays is to shop at Macy's.  No wait, stupid commercial just came on again.  The message is to BELIEVE.  In Santa.  In God.  In returns without a receipt.  Whatever.  Just believe in something.  We are all capable of anything if we believe...of course there is no guarantee on how long that will last, so that's where your family and friends come in.  After all, sometimes the best gift is just having someone believe in YOU!