Saturday, January 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Edgar Allan Poe!


“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” - Edgar Allan Poe

Everybody knows I love Edgar Allan Poe so I can't let the day of his birth go by without mentioning it or sharing my video tribute to him yet again (yes, again!)  If you want to learn more about the video and how it came about, please visit my blog post about it by clicking here. 

Direct link to "The Raven is Hard to Handle: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwsZ8L3S6Y

More than filming the video, I have enjoyed performing "The Raven is Hard to Handle" live at my shows.  It is an example of how so many other people of all ages love Edgar Allan Poe and perhaps have forgotten how fun classic literature can be.  I doubt Poe truly knew the power his words would have on future generations...or that you can dance to it!

I am also so flattered when I see the kids in the audience get excited about the poem and sing it back to me or want to wear my Raven wings or hats.  It reminds me that I am being heard and received in the manner that I always envisioned for Stand-Up Librarian: Reading + Pop Culture = FUN.  Learning is FUN!  I never wanted to just do stand-up comedy or write on this blog.  I wanted to utilize all of my interests and talents to share my love for books, libraries, bookstores, music and fashion. 

In just wanting to honor one of my literary heroes, I discovered a path for myself that also enables me to fulfill one of my dreams that I thought was impossible: being a rockstar.  While I may never sell-out stadiums like Aerosmith and U2 or sing live on the aerial trapeze like Pink, I am a literary rockstar to a few kids I know and that is pretty cool.  One of my goals this year is to do more programs and shows for young people.  Oh and if I can perform "The Raven is Hard to Handle" live on stage with The Black Crowes, now that would be awesome! (Call me, Chris Robinson!) 

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY and THANK YOU, Mr. Poe for inspiring so many of us to write, to dream, to explore the oddities that not only make us unique but enable us to dream...BIG. 

With the "fans" that truly matter. If something I say makes
them pick up a book, I did my job.


Thanks to Edgar Allan Poe and The Raven, I am able
to soar to heights I never knew was possible.