Monday, April 14, 2014

Thank You FL Antiquarian Book Fair!

I can't believe it has been one month since the 33rd Annual Florida Antiquarian Book Fair!  It seems I have been going nonstop ever since (mostly sewing over 20 custom orders from the fair) but I have finally forced myself to sit down for a few moments to share some of my thoughts and favorite moments...

What a fantastic weekend!  I was so proud to be the spokesperson for the book fair this year and I absolutely must thank Book Fair Manager Sarah Smith and All-Around Media Guy Allan Smith for that.  We met two years ago and discussed working together and it finally happened!  I had a blast running around St. Petersburg with Allan meeting local business owners and interviewing some of my favorite people in the community about books.  Allan did an incredible job of taking photos and shooting video footage which he later edited into videos to promote the fair online.  We worked together to publicize the fair utilizing both print and social media which resulted in the largest (and youngest) attendance at the fair in many, many years!  To view those video interviews, please visit my YouTube page here.
With Sarah Smith and Allan Smith of the Book Fair.
As spokesperson, I got the chance to open the book fair with a performance on the front steps of The Coliseum and was also featured in some of our local media where I discussed my journey into becoming the Stand-Up Librarian and my love for my hometown of St. Petersburg.  Thanks to Creative Loafing, Tampa Bay Newspapers, and Articulate Creative Pinellas for those wonderfully written articles.  You can read those pieces on my press page here.
Performing a medley of my literary parody songs
on the front steps of The Coliseum.
However, what I was most thrilled about was being an actual vendor at the fair selling my literary fashions!  I sold my first literary purse there in 2012 thanks to a wonderful woman named Edie, and I would not be still making these if it wasn't for her encouragement and support.  Thank you Edie!
With Edie in 2014.  She bought my first literary purse
in 2012 & still uses it: a cats & books fanny pack!
This year I gave her a messenger bag.
It was also a family affair at the book fair with my parents, brother, aunt and uncle helping me at my booth.  Plus, just a few days before the fair, I decided to make literary bow ties and while I knew how to sew them, it was my dad who was able to actually tie them!  So thank you Dad and to all of the people who bought them.  I sold out the first night!
With my parents at my booth on the opening night
of the book fair. Bow ties all around! 
There were so many wonderful people that I met over those three days from vendors and booksellers to miniature book collectors and aspiring librarians.  It makes me very happy to see so many different types of people come together to promote literacy and the preservation of our books.  Thanks again to everybody that bought items from Stand-Up Librarian Designs or just stopped by to stay hello.  I am so grateful.  See you next year! 
Thanks to John who bought my first bow tie...
before the fair even opened!
With Ian Kahn from Lux Mentis - a bookseller in a kilt
is a great friend for a librarian in a book skirt!
Future librarians!
Sisters Kathy and Deborah almost cleaned out my booth.
Thank you ladies!!!!!
The Coliseum filled with book lovers. Perfection!