Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy New Year!!!

I know, I know, it’s January 19th, a bit late for champagne toasts and party horns but I’ve been traveling quite a bit so once again this blog has gotten away from me. Note to self – New Year’s resolution – stop making excuses for not writing on blog and just do it! Shut up, self, I’m trying to write here! So, before I can jump into 2011, the writer in me needs to first wrap-up 2010.

My first bit of “travel” started around Thanksgiving, when my bi-polar roommate kicked me out of the apartment for not moving two boxes in the hallway (“this apartment is not a storage facility”) and for erasing Barbra Streisand “Oprah” episode on DVR ("Why would you erase that historic episode of all the recent Oprah shows? It never occurred to you that something that half the nation was looking forward to might be something I might want to watch as well?") It certainly wasn’t the best Thanksgiving either, and don’t get me started on Black Friday, where in my world it didn’t consist of shopping, but of me receiving a text message at work saying “You’re stuff is all over the yard.” I won’t go into further detail without a book deal (it’s that good of a story!) but the important part is that the universe was looking out for me and I am now living in a more peaceful place full of sane people.

December was filled with getting settled into the new place, holiday activities with friends, time with the family back in Florida, and me interviewing for a library position with Glendale Public Library, of which I will write a separate post about later. The true highlight of the month was getting the opportunity to go to “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” – twice! Ellen surprised those of us who attended her November 30th taping with another ticket to return for one of her ’12 Days of Giveaway’ shows where I ended up getting tons of wonderful gifts that I then was able to share with my whole family. Let me tell you when you’ve spent most of the past year as a grad student and volunteering at the library for free, Ellen was Santa Claus, and boy, do I believe!

I came back to Los Angeles to work New Year’s Eve at my weekend server job, and wouldn’t you know it, I made money, had fun with my co-workers, drank a champagne toast, and kissed a hot Aussie at midnight who was seated in my section – now THAT is great service! (Again, good story – book deal, call me!)

So the year ended somewhat on a high note, after months of challenges to my strength and determination. If I have to sum it up, 2010 was basically a year of tests and obstacles to overcome. A year of taking a step back in order to take a step forward. A year of following through to finally finish things I had started years before. It was a year of heartbreak, confusion, determination, courage, and independence.

Finally, it was also the birth year of this blog and the whole concept of Stand-Up Librarian, which is to educate and entertain people about libraries, while at the same time dispelling the stereotype of the ‘typical librarian.’ Like many of my creative pursuits, Stand-Up Librarian was an idea I’d had many years ago but wasn’t ready to implement for numerous excuses that I made to myself like whether I was qualified, funny, or successful enough to justify an audience. I’m done doubting myself (especially when I saw that “Jersey Shore” Snooki ‘wrote’ a book.) So, be ready to have some fun in 2011 - I have a feeling it is going to be huge!

Now, as Ellen would say, let’s dance…(yep, that's me at the beginning!)